Wednesday 8 May 2013

Cookbook Challenge #13: the book that started an obsession

The weather has been unbelievable in Squamish for the past week.  Mostly I've had to enjoy it in the morning & evening hours as I'm a little sensitive to the heat right now.  I feel for women who are heavily pregnant in the heat of the summer - it must be tough!  Even when we went to Maui at 12 weeks into the pregnancy I was hiding away from the sun, whereas I normally bask in all its glory!

On my way home from visiting a friend in Whistler on Sunday I stopped at the Husky Station for one of my favourite guilty pleasures: a screamer!  This is a summer treat & a half.

Yes, it is as healthy as it looks
When it comes to cooking, summer weather = BBQ for this cook.  I don't know if it's the simplicity, the taste of fresh-grilled food, the view while I'm cooking outside, the social aspect of it, or what, but BBQing is the way to go in the summer.  In the past week we've had a really nice steak (I am still working on the perfect steak, & came close this week), Maui ribs, BBQed salmon, chicken kabobs & tonight we had burgers.  Not just any burgers.... I present CBC #13:

Cookbook Challenge #13: Greek Lamb Burgers from Whitewater Cooks




You have already heard me mention the Whitewater series, as book #3 (the purple one) was featured in a previous cookbook challenge.  This series of 3 books from Nelson BC is amazing & between the 3, I've cooked some pretty tasty things, if I do say so myself.  This one (I call it the "brown one") is the first and most of my friends own & are equally obsessed with it.  A few choice recipes from this book are:
  • Glory Bowl
  • Roasted Three Tomato Pesto Soup
  • Emmy's Honey Curry Spinach Salad
  • Whitewater Marvellous Muffins
  • Whitewater Granola Bars
  • Kim's Mom's Chocolate Oatmeal Cake
  • Ginger Lime Cheesecake
Tonight we can add Greek Lamb Burgers to the list.  I'm not a huge lamb fan, but I had some ground lamb in the freezer so I thought I'd give it a try.  It made for some nice lean burgers, but for myself, I would probably use beef or ground chicken in the future - just a personal preference - the recipe could be adapted to whatever kind of burger you fancy.  Topped with tsatziki & paired with a Greek Salad, it was a nice spin on your typical burger.




Before I became pregnant, I always imaged the pregnant belly as being a convenient table top.  At 38 weeks, I am officially able to double as a coffee table: 




Exciting news: tomorrow is my last day of work before I begin maternity leave & I couldn't be happier - I have been exhausted at work these last couple of weeks!  I've got my fingers crossed for a few days of catching up on rest before the big day!

1 comment:

  1. I made Emmy's Honey Curry Spinach Salad, based entirely on you listing it in this post. It was so good!

    ReplyDelete